At Caldera, we believe in the power of creativity. Caldera is a catalyst for the transformation of underserved youth through innovative, year round art and environmental programs. Our Youth Program provides students from Portland and Central Oregon with long-term mentoring that nurtures individual creativity, beginning in sixth grade and continuing into young adulthood. Caldera weaves the arts, nature, and personal expression into powerful work that ignites self-expression and allows young people to be creative changes agents in their lives and communities.
Position Title: Development & Events Manager
Supervisor: Interim Director of Advancement (to be filled)
Full time (37.5 hrs/week) 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday–Friday
Location: Portland office, 1227 NW Davis St, Portland, OR 97209
Anticipated Start-date: February 18, 2019
Compensation: $47,000–$52,000 annually, exempt. Benefits include: generous paid time off, health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement matching, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
Equity & Inclusion
We recognize that Caldera communities face many societal inequities. We recognize the history and ongoing impacts of racism in our country, state, and institutions. We acknowledge that we will always have room to grow as an organization and as individuals in our understanding of racism and oppression.
We commit to continually examining our role in both perpetuating and combating institutional racism. We also commit to ongoing alignment of our policies and practices to advance racial equity, inclusion, and freedom of expression. We commit to integrating equity and inclusion into all areas of our work to better serve our mission; when we do, we get closer to the world that we want for our youth. To ensure our own accountability, we will 1) seek deeper relationships with and feedback from our larger community; 2) use our Equity Plan to guide ongoing work; and 3) apply our Equity Lens to decision-making. We will also seek inspiration from artistic and cultural traditions.
Caldera is an equal opportunity employer encouraging applicants of all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We encourage people of color and Caldera community members to apply.
The Development & Events Manager is responsible for the execution and management of Caldera’s individual giving programs, including donor cultivation events/fundraisers, bi-annual fundraising appeals, event-specific corporate sponsorships, and in-kind gifts. Reporting to the Interim Director of Advancement, this position will support Caldera’s individual donor fundraising efforts – including overall donor stewardship and recognition; event committee coordination and facilitation; prospect research and tracking; donor correspondence and record-keeping; database supervision and donor data analysis; and direct mail initiatives. Other duties include playing a key role in the development of fundraising strategy, developing donor-facing communications materials with the support of the Development & Communications Associate; preparing funding materials and requests; and completing applications and reports for event-specific sponsorships.
As as a collaborative and critical member of the Advancement team, this position manages the specific database responsibilities of the Development & Communications Associate, as well as additional database contractors, and provides overall fundraising support for the Interim Director of Advancement and Executive Director, as needed.
Individual Giving – Solicitation, Communications, and Stewardship (45%)
- Execute donor cultivation strategy and master calendar of individual giving initiatives and fundraising events
- Implement strategies to recruit new donors, retain/engage current donors, cultivate lapsed donors, and increase overall giving to meet and exceed annual fundraising goals
- Manage donor-facing communication projects, including strategizing design direction and generating copy/assets for annual reports, brochures, event invitations, fundraising specific newsletter content, and other print and digital communications pieces to support individual giving efforts; work with Development & xCommunications Associate on dissemination plan and communications timeline, as needed
- Manage relevant mailings for fundraising, donor stewardship, and cultivation and oversee Development & Communications Associate in support of these efforts
- Assist the Director of Advancement/Executive Director with identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and tracking of prospects; strategize and work with the Director of Advancement and Executive Director to implement cultivation techniques to inspire prospective supporters to become donors
- Attend select donor meetings and play active role in donor stewardship at all Caldera meetings and events
Special Events Management and Related Sponsorships (45%)
- Organize Caldera’s annual fundraising galas, including liaising with event producer, vendors, and sponsors; organizing and facilitating event committee meetings; managing the creation and design direction of event-specific communications pieces
- Manage corporate sponsorship solicitation and reporting; generate, submit, and track corporate sponsorship applications and reports; update and maintain sponsorship benefits packet; solicit and track in-kind contributions
- Work with Development & Communications Associate to create event-specific direct mail and email lists from the donor database (Raiser’s Edge); coordinate and track event attendance
- Create donor follow-up lists for thank you calls and emails; work with Advancement Director and Executive Director to create implementation plan; conduct outreach/follow-up via phone and email to donors
Donor Database (10%)
- Oversee Development & Communications Associate and/or any additional database contractors in database entry, gift processing systems, report generation, queries, and overall maintenance strategy
- Manage relationships with related database vendors and event partners (Greater Giving, Streamline Support, etc.)
- Conduct analysis of database reports describing overall donor trends for the organization
- Manage progress toward fundraising goals with the use of fundraising database (Raiser’s Edge)
Other Duties as Apparent or Assigned
Work with the Director of Advancement on other projects as assigned
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit organization
- Passion for Caldera’s mission, social and environmental change, and racial equity
- Interest and enthusiasm for nonprofit fundraising
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a project from inception to completion within strict timelines
- Able to demonstrate leadership as well as work collaboratively on teams
- High level of capability and comfort engaging with donors, board members, and the general public
- Strong proficiency in Raiser’s Edge (or comparable donor software program)
- Strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications; experience using Google Drive
- Experience managing fundraising, event and/or advisory committees
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please submit your resume or C.V.; a cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, and highlighting experience and competencies that meet the role’s requirements; and two relevant writing samples. Materials should be sent to Jobs@CalderaArts.org by Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 5:00pm. No phone calls, please.