Central Oregon Apprentice Mentor
November 16, 2011
Caldera is currently hiring an Artist Apprentice Mentor. The Apprentice Mentor will nurture students’ interest in their chosen artistic discipline, mentoring their skill development and identifying opportunities for students to see real-world artists in action. By the end of the program, students should have working knowledge of what it means to be a professional artist and have created a portfolio or reel to use to submit to college/trade school.
The ideal candidate for this position will be a professional teaching/working artist with a background in FILM and/or PHOTOGRAPHY. This position requires a person who is a flexible, detail-oriented, self-motivated problem-solver. Applicant must have minimum 2 years experience working with diverse groups in the education and arts worlds and possess deep knowledge and experience of careers in creative fields.
Mentor Time Commitment:
- Weekly mentoring (weekly 3 hour sessions and 1 monthly 6 hour session minimum)
- Help student(s) prepare for and install annual student project for exhibition
- Attend monthly staff meeting (in person or on Skype)
- Participate in Seasonal Leadership Weekends (Separate Contract, Dates & Role TBD, 3 days each)
- Instruct during Apprentice Summer Camp (Separate Contract, Dates & Role TBD, 8 days)
- Exhibition installation
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- One on one check-in with each student
- Reminder calls as necessary
- Quarterly goal-setting & review
- Transport students as needed
- Assist students in creating a portfolio or reel by year’s end
- Support students through goal-setting process and fulfillment.
- Help students identify potential college and career possibilities. Assist with college/trade school application/scholarship process, chaperone on college tours, submit work to competitions and festivals, etc.
- Collaboration with Central Oregon Education Program Mentor
- Submit monthly activity report and anecdotal observations
- Track attendance
- Submit monthly invoice and approved reimbursement requests
- Must maintain a valid driver license, personal auto liability insurance coverage, if applicable, and a driving record permitting coverage under the agency auto liability policy
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Comply with Caldera policies and procedures as outlined in the Employee and program handbooks
Position Reports to: Education Director
Salary and Benefits
This is a contracted position that begins upon hire and ends June 13, 2012. The contractor will be paid monthly upon receipt of invoice, plus any out of pocket expenses. Position is ongoing within the organization and the contract is open to annual renewal for a candidate that is a good fit for the program.
The contractor will be paid $725 per month.
Caldera does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of age, race, sexual orientation, disability, sex, religion, marital status or national origin. Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To download the full description, please view our jobs page.Tags: 2011